Sunday, May 4, 2008

Much to Tell...

Where do I begin?....On April 25th, Anchorage awoke to a horrible sight. A blizzard had blown in and dumped a little over 2 feet of snow. Our hopes for an early spring/summer were crushed. Thankfully it is melting fast and hopefully in another week or so we can start working on the yard. Late snow falls like this are rare but certainly not unheard of.


In the meantime, we have been painting like crazy in trying to meet our deadline to finish by May 6th in which contractors will be coming over to install all new flooring throughout the house. The painting project is going well, but is incredibly exhausting. We have literally been painting close to 30 days straight, with very little help. Thankfully friends Heidi and Dan came over yesterday afternoon and were able to help out in getting the upstairs finished. YEAH!!! Of course that does not include the 14+ doors we still need to paint and the trim we need to finish in the downstairs hallway; but considering everything that we had to get done, it is truly an amazing achievement for us.

During this whole remodeling process we have had to pass Sara off to friends to care for her just about every weekend and during the week as well. On April 30th, our neighbors from up the street, Jennifer and Malachy, took Sara for the evening to play with their 4 year old son Aiden. Well to make a long and painful story short, Sara and Aiden got into a box of scissors and cut their hair. Aiden cut his down to the scalp in a spot or two and Sara cut her ringlets off that hang on the sides of her face. When I came to pick Sara up, I was greeted at the door by Jennifer with a bagful of hair and her telling me that it was not that bad. Of course I did not do the expected parent technique and act calm during this act of pushing boundaries...instead I lost my cool and was very upset.


(Before)


All in all, it all worked out. I think with being tired from painting and the pressure Bill and I have been under to get this done in time, not to mention not eating or sleeping right, not to mention Sara's birthday (which is tomorrow), not to mention the pictures we were suppose to have done (which we are now rescheduling due to various reasons - not just her hair) are all factors why I lost my cool. It was all bad timing. If this had happen a few weeks from now, I would have probably been upset; but it would have just been a better time.

In any case, my hair dresser Mimie was able to fix the damage done. Sara could have done a whole lot worse. In listening to all the horror stories shared by other moms and dads we got off very light. Thankfully she did not hurt herself with the scissors, she did not cut off her bangs and no hair was cut to the scalp. So I guess small miracles do happen.



(After...)
Tomorrow is my little girls' 4th birthday. Another post will be coming with surprises in stored for our girl...so please stay tuned:)

1 comment:

Nana Cindy said...

Oh the hair... Both my girls cut their hair in nursery school. They were being creative...I remember my brother John cut one of my braids. All I can remember is my Mom screaming.
I think fatigue and time pressure wear so hard on families. Parents try to do what's best with little sleep, and fatigue and time pressure sets in. Believe me, you and Bill are wonderful parents to Sara.
Enjoy your precious 4 year old. This time passes way too fast.
Love,
Cindy