Well it has been an interesting few weeks with Sara and her newest adventures with Kindergarten.
The hardest part of our entire transition was getting adjusted to a new schedule. About 2 weeks before school we started cutting out the infamous "nap" of Sara's. Sara is one of the few 5 year-olds that we know that still napped on a daily and very regular basis. If we allowed it she would nap for 2 hours or more. The first few days of our experiment were definitely the worse. Our little darling grew horns out of her forehead and turned into a devilish monster. It was absolutely horrible. I am amazed we survived as a family those first few days. Thankfully our persistence in cutting out the nap and explaining to her that she would be at Kindergarten all day paid off. Still the first week was the hardest...she would come home utterly exhausted and ready for bed. But as each day went on she got better and better. Now it does not seem to phase her at all.
Sara LOVES Kindergarten. She loves her teacher, Mrs. Deming. She loves all the new friends she has made. She loves eating lunch with her friends; and most of all she loves the playground. The class itself is a very good class...good well-behaved kids and smart too. Mrs. Deming actually found herself one Friday afternoon running out of work for the kids to do and gave the kids extra playground time which is a big time reward and very rare at that.
I will admit that both Sara and I did go through some separation anxiety during the first week. She insisted on not letting me go until I walked her directly to class. By the second week I was able to drop her off at the playground and would be lucky if I received a hug and kiss goodbye. I truly do miss my little sidekick, but at the same time it is nice to have more time to myself. I am diligently looking for part-time work and hope to find something soon. I have received numerous calls regarding my resume and have even had a few interviews. So please everyone...keep your fingers crossed for me.
The one thing Bill and I noticed right away with Sara being in Kindergarten is how quickly she is learning new things. She is doing simple math, learning her phonograms (which by the way Bill and I are having to learn and are not doing well on), and other neat things like learning about the first settlers in America and so on. They also have a wonderful technology program at her school with wonderful computers in which they are getting these kids accustomed to using. She has already asked me for a lap-top for Christmas. That seems very wrong to me. Next thing you know she is going to want a Blackberry and a MP3 Player.
So all in all we are all doing well and Sara is doing great. We are so proud of her and all the little things she has accomplished so far in just a short period of time. Go SARA!
1 comment:
you must be so proud. Sounds like she is doing great.
I would expect no less since she has awesome parents.
Love,
Cindy
Post a Comment