Wednesday, November 5, 2008

"Let's Get Caught Up"...

What can I say...since my last post, which I am sad to say was in September, life has been a bit crazy for us. So for all the people that read my blog and have been keeping an eye out for an update I apologize.

So sit back, and let's get you caught up on things.

October 6th was our first snowfall. YUCK!!! Not a lot of snow, but cold. In fact all of October has been cold. Right now we are in the single digits of a whopping 5 degrees. Uugh!

So thankfully, one of the last, relatively nice weather weekends we experienced, we were able to get all the leaves raked; as well as the remainder of the outside play toys and furniture (that we never used because we had a crappy summer) put away for the long ass winter. Our Arizona trip could not have come at a better time...we will get back to that later....

Take a break from raking

Leaf Pile Jumping

Most of you might know that I signed on to serve on Sara's school council this year. One of my main duties assigned to me was to organize this years annual Halloween Carnival and Fundraiser. What a project. This is what I will blame my lack of blogging. It was quite an ordeal organizing this event.

Long story, short. This should have been assigned to someone months ago, instead of September 17th..which is when I was handed all the information for this large event.

Thankfully it all worked out despite several glitches. The school raised money and all the kids and families had a great time. But right now, I am thankful it is over.

Sara dressed as a "Butterfly Princess Fairy"....and was adorable as always. We combined a few costume ideas; since it was incredibly tough choice between a butterfly, a princess or a fairy. However, Sara has recently informed me that she already has plans next year to be a just a "simple spider". Hmmm.

Works of Art

My beautiful Butterfly-Princess-Fairy at the Carnival

It was the day after the carnival and I thought (for a brief moment...I should know better) that I would be able to have a somewhat relaxing weekend.......and that's when I came down with the FLU. OMG, I felt like I was going to die. It was absolutely horrible. Thankfully Bill and Sara avoided it. I was in bed for 3 days and felt very weak for an entire week. This week, is actually the best I have felt in awhile.

So that brings us current...

The elections are over, thank goodness...I refuse to discuss politics in my blog...but I am glad it is done...now we will all have to see how things will "change".

Sara is doing great overall. One of the biggest things going on with her right now is swimming classes. We first had her enrolled at East High School (Bill's old High School). We had many problems with this program which is run by the Municipality. First, the cleanliness of this facility is inexcusable. The sinks in the bathroom did not work properly. Cold water dribbling out of the faucet and watered down soap. Toilets that could eat you alive and enough bacteria on the pool ringside walkways to go on for miles. Absolutely disgusting!

On top of that I had a major problem with Sara's instructor. From day one she would favor the more outgoing and daring children; and showed (what I believed to be) aggressive teaching methods. On more than one occasion she would tell Sara things like "JUMP...it's not an option"...or say "COME ON, just do it". Of course, her "tone" was unpleasant too.

Needless to say I had words with the instructor and pool manager. I ended up making the instructor upset to the point that she cried...and had to dismiss herself from teaching class that night. Instead the pool manager taught; and remarkably, ALL the kids seemed to have a much better lesson and perform well. So, I guess I should be thankful for one good lesson. Whatever!!!...she put a fear into my daughter that was not necessary....of course I made her cry; she is lucky that's all I did.

The happy side to this tale...is that we waited patiently; did some homework and got Sara into a much better program. So far it seems to be very beneficial. We have had two classes as of tonight and were amazed in the improvement in just two lessons with this other program. I will try to take some pictures or a short video. But tonight she fully submerged herself and pushed off from the step and swam a very short stroke. It was short, but a HUGE leap for a girl that was traumatized by another. Bill and I were so proud watching her.

We also were reassured this evening after class when Sara came leaping into my arms to tell me how much fun she had, and everything she learned. Yeah!!!...something finally worked out.

Oops...one more thing. Sara also managed to have time to go on her very first school field trip to a nearby Fire Station. Self Explanatory...I am done writing for now:)

Visit to Fire Station #4

Posing in the Truck

No comments: